Koha paid for consent to drill water bores on private land

Ratepayers at a Bay of Plenty meeting with MP Todd Muller complained about their Councils playing 'fast and loose' with their rights - especially for the need to consult with local hapu/iwi when installing a water bore on their own property. "To get a bore you have to get iwi "consent", and they want a koha, which is not a gift, it's a bribe" one woman stated.
Another woman said that koha payments are not recorded by Councils, even though they can be compulsory under the Councils' terms of operation.


Ryan Wood: SunLive, 13 June, 2018: https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/181863-koha-and-apartheid-discussed-at-mp-meeting.html

Numerous issues arise from the need for property owners to consult with tribal trusts, these include:

  1. What services do tribal trusts provide in order to receive "koha" from property owners?
  2. Are tribal trusts legally or de facto in a position to prevent property owners from obtaining Council consent for drilling water bores or other activities?
  3. How much do property owners pay iwi/hapu in koha, and are these koha recorded and tax deductible by property owners?